E655 -- Observationes generales circa series, quarum termini secundum sinus vel cosinus angulorum multiplorum progrediuntur
(General observations about series, of which the terms arising for the sines or cosines of multiplied angles come forth)
This paper, along with E592 and E636, seems to consider the binomial expansion (1+z)n in the case where z is complex.
According to the records, it was presented to the St.
Petersburg Academy on March 6, 1777.
Originally published in Nova Acta Academiae Scientarum Imperialis Petropolitinae 7, 1793, pp. 87-98
Opera Omnia: Series 1, Volume 16, pp. 163 - 177
- Original Publication: E655
- Jordan Bell of Carleton University in Ontario has prepared a translation of E655.
- German translation (Artur Diener and Alexander Aycock): E655
- The Euler Archive attempts to monitor current scholarship for articles and books that may be of interest to Euler Scholars. Selected references we have found that discuss or cite E655 include:
- Heideman MT, Johnson DH, Burrus CS., “Gauss and the history of the fast Fourier-transform.” Archive for History of Exact Sciences, 34 (3), pp. 265-277 (1985).
Return to the Euler Archive