E490 -- De repraesentatione superficiei sphaericae super plano
(On the representation of spherical surfaces on a plane)
According to the records, it was presented to the St. Petersburg Academy on September 4, 1775.
Originally published in Acta Academiae Scientarum Imperialis Petropolitinae 1777, 1778, pp. 107-132
- Opera Omnia: Series 1, Volume 28, pp. 248 - 275
- Euler's three works on map projections, E490, E491, and E492, were published in German translation at the end of the 19th Century in:
Euler, Leonhard. Drei Abhandlungen uber Kartenprojection / von Leonhard Euler (1777) ; herausgegeben von A. Wangerin. Leipzig : W. Englemann, 1898
- A handwritten French translation of this treatise can be found in the library of the observatory in
Uccle, near Brussels.
- Original Publication: E490
- English Translation (George Heine): E490
- A 19th Century German translation of E490, E491, and E492, Drei Abhandlungen uber Kartenprojection, is available here on Google Books.
- A 2013 German translation of E490 (by Alexander Aycock and Artur Diener) is also available: E490
- The Euler Archive attempts to monitor current scholarship for articles and books that may be of interest to Euler Scholars. Selected references we have found that discuss or cite E490 include:
- Jahnke HN., “Arithmeticization of mathematics in the 1st-half of the 19th-century - Cauchy analysis as viewed by the mathematician Ohm, Martin.” Archive for History of Exact Sciences, 37 (2), pp. 101-182 (1987).
Return to the Euler Archive