E314 -- Conjecture sur la raison de quelques dissonances generalement recues dans la musique
(Conjecture into the reasons for some dissonances generally heard in music)
According to C. G. J. Jacobi, a treatise with this title was presented to the Berlin Academy on July 10, 1760.
Originally published in Memoires de l'academie des sciences de Berlin 20, 1766, pp. 165-173
Opera Omnia: Series 3, Volume 1, pp. 508 - 515
- Reprinted in OEuvres complètes d’Euler [E314a]
- Republished as: Euler, Musique mathématique, Paris 1865, pp. 217-224. [E314b]
- Original publication: E314
- E314 can be viewed or downloaded from Digitalisierte Akademieschriften und Schriften zur Geschichte der Königlich Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, which includes serial publications of the Prussian Academy of Science in the 18th and 19th Centuries.
- Jasen A. Scaramazza of Rowan University has completed a translation of E314, and has made it available to the Euler Archive.
- The Euler Archive attempts to monitor current scholarship for articles and books that may be of interest to Euler Scholars. Selected references we have found that discuss or cite E314 include:
- Muzzulini D., “Euler, Leonhard Theory of consonance.” Musiktheorie, 9 (2), pp. 135-146 (1994).
Return to the Euler Archive