E291 -- Recherches sur la connoisance mechanique des corps
(Research into the science of mechanical bodies)
Euler considers the moment of inertia.
According to C. G. J. Jacobi, a treatise with this title was presented to the Berlin Academy on
July 6, 1758.
Originally published in Memoires de l'academie des sciences de Berlin 14, 1765, pp. 131-153
Opera Omnia: Series 2, Volume 8, pp. 178 - 199
- Original publication: E291
- E291 can be viewed or downloaded from Digitalisierte Akademieschriften und Schriften zur Geschichte der Königlich Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, which includes serial publications of the Prussian Academy of Science in the 18th and 19th Centuries.
- The Euler Archive attempts to monitor current scholarship for articles and books that may be of interest to Euler Scholars. Selected references we have found that discuss or cite E291 include:
- Caparrini S., “The discovery of the vector representation of moments and angular velocity.” Archive for History of Exact Sciences, 56 (2), pp. 151-181 (Jan 2002).
- Maltese G., “On the relativity of motion in Leonhard Euler's science.” Archive for History of Exact Sciences, 54 (4), pp. 319-348 (2000).
Return to the Euler Archive