E283 -- De numeris primis valde magnis
(On very large prime numbers)
This article focuses on finding large prime numbers. It also reproves that F5 is not prime. Euler provides factor tables for aa + 1, for a < 1500. It is followed by an article by Albrecht Euler, in German.
According to the records, it was presented to the St. Petersburg Academy on December 1, 1760.
Originally published in Novi Commentarii academiae scientiarum Petropolitanae 9, 1764, pp. 99-153
Opera Omnia: Series 1, Volume 3, pp. 1 - 45
- Reprinted in Commentat. arithm. 1, 1849, pp. 356-378 [E283a]
- A handwritten French translation of this treatise can be found in the library of the observatory in
Uccle, near Brussels.
- Original publication: E283
- The Euler Archive attempts to monitor current scholarship for articles and books that may be of interest to Euler Scholars. Selected references we have found that discuss or cite E283 include:
- Calinger R., “Leonhard Euler: The first St Petersburg years (1727-1741).” Historia Mathematica, 23 (2), pp. 121-166 (May 1996).
Return to the Euler Archive