E197 -- Harmonie entre les principes generaux de repos et de mouvement de M. de Maupertuis
(Harmony existing between the general principles of rest and movement by M. de Maupertuis)
According to C. G. J. Jacobi, a treatise with this title was presented to the Berlin Academy on
November 9, 1752.
Originally published in Memoires de l'academie des sciences de Berlin 7, 1753, pp. 169-198
Opera Omnia: Series 2, Volume 5, pp. 152 - 176
- Original publication: E197
- E197 can be viewed or downloaded from Digitalisierte Akademieschriften und Schriften zur Geschichte der Königlich Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, which includes serial publications of the Prussian Academy of Science in the 18th and 19th Centuries.
- The Euler Archive attempts to monitor current scholarship for articles and books that may be of interest to Euler Scholars. Selected references we have found that discuss or cite E197 include:
- Dias PMC., “Euler's "harmony" between the principles of "rest" and "least action" - the conceptual making of analytical mechanics.” Archive for History of Exact Sciences, 54 (1), pp. 67-86 (1999).
- Fraser C., “Lagrange, J. L. early contributions to the principles and methods of mechanics.” Archive for History of Exact Sciences, 28 (3), pp. 197-241 (1983).
- Grattanguinness I., “Work for the workers - advances in engineering mechanics and instruction in France, 1800-1830.” Annals of Sciences, 41 (1), pp. 1-33 (1984).
Return to the Euler Archive