E191 -- De partitione numerorum
(On the partitions of numbers)
Euler introduces superscript notation for various kinds of partitions. His tools of generating functions are getting stronger.
According to the records, it was presented to the St. Petersburg Academy on January 26, 1750.
Originally published in Novi Commentarii academiae scientiarum Petropolitanae 3, 1753, pp. 125-169
Opera Omnia: Series 1, Volume 2, pp. 254 - 294
- Reprinted in Commentat. arithm. 1, 1849, pp. 73-101 [E191a]
- A handwritten French translation of this treatise can be found in the library of the observatory in
Uccle, near Brussels.
- Original publication: E191
- Dutch Translation (Carlos Hermans and Andy Jiao): E191
- E191 is discussed in Ed Sandifer's How Euler Did It October
2005 column published online by the MAA.
Return to the Euler Archive