E29 -- De solutione problematum diophanteorum per numeros integros
(On the solution of a problem of Diophantus)
Euler first searches for integer solutions to axx+bx+c=yy.
to the records, it was presented to the St. Petersburg Academy on May 29, 1733.
Originally published in Commentarii academiae scientiarum Petropolitanae 6, 1738, pp. 175-188
Opera Omnia: Series 1, Volume 2, pp. 6 - 17
- Reprinted in Comment. acad. sc. Petrop. 6, ed. nova, Bononiae 1743, pp. 162-174 [E29a]
- Reprinted in Commentat. arithm. 1, 1849, pp. 4-10 [E29b]
- Original publication: E029
(in the Commentarii)
- Daniel Otero has completed both a transcription and a translation of E29, and has made these available to the Euler Archive:
- Other works that cite this work include:
- Weil A., Number Theory
- Sandifer E., "Euler and Pell." How Euler Did It. (Published online
by the MAA.)
Return to the Euler Archive